This is the start of an inspiration patch, where I hope that fellow scrappers and creators will come and find some inspiration, or even leave some inspiration for me.

Monday 11 May 2015

Faith Canvas

Hello Everyone

I created a canvas for a BoBunny project that I had to make and it's one that I have up on my wall and look at everyday! I take courage from it and it's a reminder everyday to have Faith! ;-)


In a way...I have to come clean and tell you a little bit more about this canvas.  If you follow my blog posts you will know that in February, March and April, I posted that these were really difficult months for me.  At the time, especially February, I could not verbalise half of what I was feeling or thinking and so thought it best to keep quiet.

In February, 2 things happened.  Firstly, I was hijacked outside my sisters house.  In essence, what this means is that I was held up by a man with a gun, who wanted my car. I was not a very willing victim and so I was also shot at.  Whether this was just to scare me or whether he actually meant to harm me, this I don't know. The point blank range shot, narrowly missed the left hand side of my body.  However, I was then thrown into the road and he made off with my car, my handbag, my cellphone, ID, drivers licence etc. As you can imagine, this incident made one of the biggest impacts on my life. It has been a process to come to terms with it and also put it behind me, as such. It has not always been easy.

The second thing in February, was that 2 weeks after this hijacking, my dog Blossom passed away.  I nursed her for the 2 weeks.  In the last week, feeding her water and food by hand. It was absolutely awful and my heart was broken.

In the first week of April, the Thursday before Good Friday my husband phoned to tell me that he had been in a motorbike accident.  To tell you the short version...he basically was in a HUGE accident, where the bike was totally wrecked and he was in intensive care for 2 days, before coming home with minor injuries.  It was a miracle that he actually had so few injuries, a broken bone in his foot, bad bruising and an open knee. Luckily he is now healed, except for the broken bone, which will definitely take time to completely mend and heal.

As you can tell from these 3 things, the start to my year was not so great. But I have learnt quite a few things about myself.  I might share this with you sometime...but I would need a loooooong post! ;-)
However,  no matter how strong I am, sometimes I still get scared and so this was the reason for me creating this canvas.  I saw this amazing quote on Pinterest and just knew that it was something I had to use.


I used BoBunny stickable stencils for the background, along with watercolouring.  I made it very drippy down the sides, to give it that drippy look. I did some woodgrain stamping and I then used butterfly diecuts over some of these butterfly images on the background.

I used the butterflies, because they give me thoughts of flight and having wings to transcend these worldly things! ;-)


I'm not really one for blabbing all over the place, about my woes and mishaps...but I guess sometimes one has to allow people in and be a little vulnerable.

I hope that this post wasn't too long...
I really do thank you all, for your visits always...
It really is appreciated!

"When Fear comes Knocking at your Door, Send Faith to Answer it!"

Denise x

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Denise, you really have been through a lot lately. I am so glad that you and your husband both survived your traumas. And I'm so sorry that your dog passed away. Pets are a part of the family, and it's so hard to say good bye to them. Sending you hugs from the other side of the Atlantic. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful canvas & I'm happy to hear it gives you strength too. You really have been very much through the mill lately & I thank God my special friend (you!!) was not shot!!! I hope you feel better every day. I've had my fair share of similar traumas & they do fade but that does take time ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, oh dear, I didn't know you were hijacked but have read the passing of your dog and your husband's accident at Feacebook. I'm so sorry you have to go through all these in the early months. I'm so relief the bullet missed you...I hope you have overcome the traumatize and live without fear (perhaps you already have the martial arts black belt by now!!:-) ...the canvas is terrific and lovely sentiment with gorgeous butterflies! Love it Denise! Take care. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Denise! I do wish for you patience and strength. There's one great saying - you never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have! All the best.:) Beautiful canvas by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one AWFUL start to the year, I must say. And makes the quote on your canvas....actually, the canvas itself, even more poignant & also it makes SENSE why you have made it. And it's a brill quote & I love the the butterflies:):) I'm glad you let us in & shared......but I'm with you, I tend not to - to keep the scrapping to the scrapping....so I totally understand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful canvas Denise - love the colour and the butterflies and most of all the quote. I'm so sorry you've had a terrible start to the year, but glad to know that you are OK. Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Denise! it's really not so good beginning of the year, but thank God you and your family ok now! I hope that these were the hardest moments in your life and they are gone!
    your canvas is a great art therapy, so brigh, shine and positive! and this phrase wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise, First of all, I love reading my favourite designers blogs and I find that when they write something a little personal, or how or why they were inspired I find it much more interesting to read than just looking at a project with no text. Secondly I am so sorry that all that happened to you!!!! That is a lot to handle and I'm sure that it takes a lot of strength and courage to get through those things in one piece! This is exactly why we create - to express our emotions, good or bad. Your canvas is so beautiful and I love that quote too - we ALL have issues in our lives that take faith to get through, and I'm glad you shared what inspired you to create this truly gorgeous piece...hugs to you from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I adore the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there Beautiful lady, so sorry to hear about this sad news that has happened to you and your family, here's hoping you have come out of this terrible storm and this is peace and love for the rest of the year….. BTW the canvas is amazing, it shows your passion of craft, continue to do what pleases you first , take care and big Hugs XX

    ReplyDelete